Jason A. Spak Shareholder
444 Liberty Avenue Suite 1105
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Jason Spak defends financial services companies and insurers against civil lawsuits filed by consumers and competitors.
In his financial services practice, Mr. Spak has more than a decade of experience in representing criminal background reporters, credit bureaus, credit resellers, credit furnishers, credit subscribers, and debt collectors against lawsuits which allege violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and related state statutes. From his office in Pittsburgh, he has defended clients in the federal courts of over twenty states, from Maine to California and from Minnesota to Texas. He comments on consumer financial services law in his blog.
In his insurance coverage practice, Mr. Spak focuses on resolving coverage disputes, bad faith claims, and requests for interpleader in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in both its state and federal courts.
Even closer to home, Mr. Spak provides pro bono legal services to several Pittsburgh non-profits, including Lawrenceville United, Friendship Development Associates, Inc., and the Pittsburgh Toy Lending Library.
He left Pittsburgh to attend the University of Notre Dame (1991-1995) and the University of Michigan Law School (1999-2002). During that decade, he lived in or visited 48 of the 50 states, spent two years studying for the Catholic priesthood, and worked as a fry cook, a department store salesman, a road crew laborer, a night watchman, a gas station attendant, a waiter, a computer consultant, a high school teacher, a landscaper, and an SAT/LSAT instructor. Happy to return home, he now lives in Pittsburgh’s East End along with his wife and four children.
- Pennsylvania, 2002
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 2003
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2004
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2006
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 2009
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 2011
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2013
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 2014
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 2014
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 2015
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 2012
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. (Cum Laude) - 2002
- University of Notre Dame
- B.A. - 1995
- Honors: Honors Program
- Major: Government
- "Relief for Resellers: Two Reasons Why FCRA claims against resellers may be dismissed before trial", National Credit Reporting Association, Inc., May 2010
- "Consumer Class Actions Involving Credit & Debit Card Receipts Hit Retailers Nationwide", Defense Research Institute, March 2008 (with John McIntyre)
Past Employment Positions
- Reed Smith, LLP, Associate, 2006 - 2009
- Jones Day, Associate, 2002 - 2006