The insurance coverage practice of Picadio Sneath Miller & Norton, P.C., encompasses first-party and third-party insurance coverage and bad faith claims. The firm's work in this field is typically as counsel to insurance companies, but the firm has represented insureds in selected cases. From our office in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, our lawyers serve clients primarily in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, but also in other jurisdictions on a special admission basis.
In recent years the firm has represented insurance companies in federal and state insurance coverage and bad faith litigation involving a wide variety of matters arising under numerous types of policies, including commercial general liability policies, directors' and officers' liability policies, property and casualty policies, professional errors and omissions policies, special manuscripted policies, umbrella and excess policies, and life and disability insurance policies. The firm routinely provides insurance coverage opinions on all types of insurance.
The firm's experience in insurance litigation includes the following matters:
- Insurance coverage litigation and monitoring of accounting liability claims in excess of $100 million arising out of the financial failure of a nationwide discount pharmacy chain.
- Representing an insurance carrier in an action initiated by a Fortune 500 company seeking in excess of $100 million insurance coverage for the costs of completing the environmental cleanup of 25 sites contaminated by hazardous wastes and substances.
- Representing excess insurers in indemnity dispute arising from national class action settlement in excess of $100 million involving a national restaurant chain.
- Representing a major regional commercial bank in a claim against a surety company under a banker's blanket bond for insurance coverage of losses sustained by the bank in connection with a check forgery scheme.
- Representing insurance companies in coverage litigation brought by manufacturers of tobacco products seeking coverage for third-party personal injury claims allegedly arising out of use of tobacco products.
- Representing insurers against claims for coverage arising from mass tort asbestos and silica claims and alleged bad faith.
- Representing insurers in dispute regarding coverage for claims arising out of defective products installed in homes.
- Representing life insurance companies in litigation involving wrongful denial of life insurance benefits.
- Representing long-term care insurance company in litigation involving denial of benefits and alleged bad faith.
- Representing annuity company in litigation involving sale tactics.
One of the firm's founding partners published "Insurance Coverage in Pennsylvania," (Pennsylvania Bar Institute), a comprehensive review of Pennsylvania insurance coverage and bad faith law, and two current partners co-authored the Second Edition and are working on the Third Edition.
Contact Our Pennsylvania Insurance Attorneys Today: Business Litigation. Pittsburgh Strong.
For more information about the area of insurance coverage and bad faith, call 412-288-4000 or send our Pittsburgh insurance coverage lawyers an e-mail by completing the contact form on this website.